Cavendish Village Historic Walking Tour

When:
August 9, 2020 @ 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
2020-08-09T14:00:00-04:00
2020-08-09T15:30:00-04:00
Where:
Cavendish Historical Society Museum
1958 Main St
Cavendish, VT 05142
USA
Cost:
Free
Contact:
802-226-7807

Cavendish Village is home to some of the oldest buildings in town — Academy Building (started in 1782); the Cavendish Historical Society Museum (1834) and the Cavendish Stone Church (1844). In addition, there is the boarding house where Phineas Gage was taken after the tamping rod went through head, as well as the site where the Dutton House once stood. Now at the Shelburne Museum, it was believed to have been haunted; it seems the spirits have remained with the house, because many volunteers and staff at its current location prefer not to work in the building.
The tour begins at the Cavendish HIstorical Society Museum and includes several stops along the way. In addition to the buildings noted above, other locations include Gay Brothers Mill, a history of stone buildings, including Black River Health Center, Hickernell (and no Mr. Hickernell is not buried in the basement), Stone Church (yes, you can have a peek) and Spaulding House. Also included will be the Cavendish Cemetery and more.
This is a free event and is open to the public. Please note, masks and social distancing are required.

 

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under:

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.