Schoolhouses of Londonderry exhibit

July 21, 2018 @ 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Middletown Road Schoolhouse
2414 Middletown Rd
Londonderry, VT 05148
Annie Campbell

The Middletown Road Schoolhouse, owned by the Londonderry Arts and Historical Society, used to be the Londonderry Academy. Built around 1917, the structure originally had a cupola. It also served as Londonderry’s Masonic Lodge.

In the 1860’s Londonderry was comprised of 13 school districts, each having its own schoolhouse. There was a certain amount of rivalry between the North and South villages and each had their own grammar and high schools. These were gradually consolidated until finally in 1965 Flood Brook School became the regional grammar school and the high school students traveled out of town.

A new exhibit from the Londonderry Arts and Historical Society locates the site of each school and shows some memorabilia and photos of them, then and now.  The exhibit will be on display at the Middletown Road Schoolhouse, 2414 Middletown Road through Labor Day.

In addition to the new Schoolhouse exhibit, LAHS is also displaying “Changing Times” (exploring the multiple uses of many of Londonderry’s properties) across the street at the Custer Sharp House, 2416 Middletown Road.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under:

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Leave a Reply

First name or initial and last name required. COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT THEM. No aliases accepted.