Police Log for March 27 through Aug. 23, 2013

Police log logo1Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. We do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Wednesday,  March 27, 10:07 a.m.

Complainant advised he saw a trailer that belonged to him at an auction house.  It had been at his ex-wife’s house. The auction house had bought it from her and resold it. The ex-wife explained that the complainant had one year to remove it and then she sold it. Complainant was advised that he could pursue the matter in family court.

Wednesday, April 17, 7:47 a.m.

An ankle tracking device that had been cut off was found on Church Street.  The fugitive was found later sleeping in the woods. Another person who had also cut off his ankle bracelet later turned himself in.

1:07 p.m.

A complainant advised that she was receiving harassing text messages from someone she knew to be out of state.  After researching the number, the responding officer contacted the sender of the texts, telling him to stop or a warrant would be issued. As of July 31 no further texts have been received.

Sunday, April 21, 3:02 p.m

An officer responded to a report of a chocolate lab foaming at the mouth near Main and Church streets.  A search of the area did not locate the dog.

Sunday, April 28, 3:09 p.m.

Workers at the town garage advised they had seen someone stealing a bicycle out of the scrap pile.  When the responding officer contacted the family of the person, he was told that their son was told he could take the bike. The highway foreman said that none of his employees gave permission, but since it was scrap, the boy could keep it.

8:51 p.m.

An officer responded to a business parking lot on South Main Street. Two women were regularly meeting there for an hour or more and there was the suspicion that it was a drug deal. The officer spoke with the two who meet there to talk. They consented to a search of their cars and nothing was found.

Tuesday April 30, 7:09 a.m.

Complainant came to the Police Department to report that his 2012 GMC truck had been hit and damaged on Main Street while he was in the Jiffy Mart.  None of Jiffy Mart’s cameras captured the event and nobody outside the store had seen anything. The case remains open.

Thursday, May 2, 1:17 p.m.

While on patrol, an officer found a woman walking in the Stone Village. She was stumbling and holding her chest.  She said she was OK,  just hot and tired. She explained that she was homeless and walking to Rutland. Although the woman refused assistance, the officer made sure she had enough water.

1:32 p.m.

Police responded to a complaint that a weed whacker had been taken from a truck while its owner went out on a call.  After a search, the missing whacker was found at an unidentified site where the complainant had been working. It was either forgotten there or it fell off his trailer. No action taken.

Thursday, June 6, 6:42 p.m.

Two Chester officers assisted the Bellows Falls police in executing a search warrant in an apartment building.  The officers  helped with the entry, arrest, search and outside security before leaving the scene.

Wednesday, June 26, 11:49 a.m.

A sub-contractor for VTel reported that a resident off of Route 103 North in the Smokeshire area had threatened him when he wanted to drive on his property to work.  The sub-contractor said he was grabbed and pushed toward his truck and another worker came to tell him to get out of the area since the resident had called to say he would shoot him.  An officer interviewed the resident who said he did not want the contractor driving his truck on his wet fields.  He added that the contractor said he had a right to drive to the pole and that the resident had told him to leave, but had not threatened or touched him.  VTel confirmed that the resident had not made threats.

Tuesday, July 16,  8:36 p.m.

A  Trebo Road resident reported that someone had broken in and stolen a .38 caliber handgun.  By ATV tracks left in the tall grass, it appeared that the theft was recent and that the  alarm system had failed to notify anybody. The complainant advised that  she kept the gun for bears.  The case remains open.

9:08 p.m.

Complainant advised that his girlfriend had taken a Subaru station wagon from his Church Street area home. The officer located the vehicle and called the complainant to come and claim it. The officer also warned the owner that the unregistered and uninsured vehicle should not be driven.

Sunday, July 21, 1:17 p.m.

A resident of the Reservoir Road area reported an antique wooden folding washstand stolen from a breezeway. There was no forced entry and nothing else in the house was missing or out of place.

Wednesday, July 24, 8:25 p.m.

A seasonal resident in the Flamstead area reported that someone had broken into his house, slept in his bed, used his boots, stole a flat screen television and cut away and removed sections of the plumbing.  The case remains open.

Monday, July 29, 9:16 a.m.

A downtown Chester resident reported that three “hummingbird” solar lights were stolen from the base of his flagpole sometime between the time he took his flag in the night before and raising it the next morning. Complainant said he realized that little could be done, but wanted the incident reported.

Tuesday, July 30, 8:14 a.m.

A Chester resident reported that he had received a phone call making and soliciting sexual comments. The caller sounded like a young girl. A Chester officer researched the call and found that it had come from a gated community in Harbor Springs, Michigan.  Chester Police contacted  Harbor Springs police and an officer of that department visited the location to find five juvenile boys ages 10 to 12 in a guest house.  It was found that the boys had been making similar calls in their own community and all over the United States.  Local authorities are dealing with the boys.

Friday, Aug. 2, 11:11 a.m.

A local business reported that a boom truck had backed into and damaged a sign. The driver reported that he had not seen the sign, but the owner of the company was contacted and said he would like to come and see that the sign was repaired.

Sunday, Aug. 4,  4:22 p.m.

An officer responded to an accident at Mattson and Mineral Spring roads. The driver advised that he was adjusting the radio and went off the road. The vehicle was totaled.

Monday, Aug. 5,  10:46 p.m.

Responding to a call from a Dean Brook Road resident who reported hearing a car go off the road and a woman screaming and swearing,  a Chester officer found a woman asleep at the wheel of a Jeep in the ditch. The woman said she had only had a few beers several hours earlier, but could not recite the alphabet or pass a number of sobriety tests.  She was taken into custody and at the Rockingham State Police barracks her breath test yielded a .168, which is twice the legal limit.  The woman was charged with DUI and released.

Monday, Aug. 12, 11:46 a.m.

A contractor estimating a job was bitten on the thumb by a dog belonging to the owner of the property on Davidson Hill Road.  The man received treatment for the wound and it was verified that the dog was up to date on its shots. The complainant chose not to press charges.

Tuesday, Aug. 20, noon

A Chester woman hit the Post Office building with her car.  There was no injury to the driver or damage to the building although the car had damage to the hood.

Thursday, Aug. 22,  2:15 p.m.

A Chester resident reported that she was involved in an accident at the Post Office at about noon on that day.  The accident involved both drivers backing out at the same time and resulted in minimal damage. While her insurance company said it was not necessary to report the accident to the police, the woman felt she needed to make a report.  Insurance information was exchanged at the scene.

Friday, Aug. 23, 4:30 p.m.

A Chester resident came into the Police Department to report an accident.  When he was getting mail from a box on Bailey’s Mill Road, he dropped some and put his vehicle into what he thought was park, but was instead reverse.  As he got out of the vehicle, it began to roll backward, knocking him to the ground and rolling into a tree.  Damage was in excess of $3,000. A DMV crash report was filled out because the accident began on public property.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.