Chester Police log for Dec. 30, 2013 through March 21, 2014

Chester Police Badge copy2Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. We do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Monday, Dec. 30, 2013, 8:28 p.m.

A person called police to report that a yellow dirt bike that he had for sale on his front lawn across from the Jiffy Mart was missing. He said it was there in the morning when he left for work around 8 a.m. but when he returned home 12 hours later, it was gone. From the tracks, it looks as if it was pushed over to the driveway and loaded into a vehicle. A friend called to say that the dirt bike had been seen in the yard about 15 minutes before the owner arrived home.

Saturday, Feb. 1, 1:38 p.m.

Police stopped a vehicle along Route 103 for following a police cruiser too closely and swerving into the other lane multiple times. The driver stated that she was in a rush and did not realize that the car she was following was a police officer. She was warned.

Friday, Feb. 7, 8:46 p.m.

A resident off the Chester Green stated that she had been receiving threats of bodily harm by phone from an untraceable number. She named some people of interest.

Sunday, Feb. 9, 8:24 a.m.

Police were sent to North Street for a report of vehicles passing. The complainant stated that he had seen three vehicles with Connecticut registration pass him on his way home from church. He said that this had occurred about 20 minutes earlier. The only other information he could give was that they were SUVs.

Friday, Feb. 14, 10:46 p.m.

A resident off Route 11 called to report that her grandson, who lives out of state, is drunk and keeps calling and swearing at her for reasons that she did not understand. Police called the grandson and left a message advising him that if he didn’t stop harassing his grandmother, Chester police would call his home police and have him arrested for disorderly on the phone. Phone calls stopped.

Saturday, Feb. 15, 7:28 p.m.

Officers responded to a report of a loud argument on Route 103 south. Three people were arguing about some missing earrings. One of the parties said that the other party had a habit of losing or misplacing things and accusing others of taking them. All involved said there was no violence and there was no physical evidence of a theft.

Sunday, Feb. 16, 9:38 a.m.

Police were called to the driveway of the self-storage facility, where two vehicles were parked after a minor collision on Route 103 heading into Chester. The driver of the Jeep said that the driver of the Chevy had been passing the Jeep when the Chevy pulled in front of him too early and the Chevy’s rear right corner clipped the left front corner of the Jeep. The Chevy driver said that a passenger in the rear of the Jeep had thrown a canned drink at them as they passed legally. The Chevy driver added that he had been afraid to pull over due to the way the Jeep occupants were acting. The Jeep driver finally admitted that he had been yelling at the Chevy as it passed and that he had a soda can in his left hand, which was out the window. He said he had not thrown it but that the wind knocked it from his hand. There were minor scratches to both vehicles, and no charges were filed.

Monday, Feb. 17, 5:49 p.m.

A two-car accident occurred on Route 10 when one vehicle slowed down and crossed over the center line as if to turn left and the vehicle following it a attempted to pass it on the right. Actually the first car was pulling to the left to anticipate a sharp turn into the driveway on the right. The first car ran into the second causing it to spin and crash into a snow bank. The Chester police officer determined that there were two causes for the wreck. The driver of the first car failed to use directional signals while the second driver should not have attempted to pass on the right.

Thursday, Feb. 20, 9:23 a.m.

Officer responded to an ongoing dispute between neighbors off Route 10. Trespass notices were issued to everyone involved at their request.

Saturday, Feb. 22, 11:45 a.m.

Officers responded to a report of a man sitting in a truck and not leaving in the Peck Road area. On arriving the officers found the man who said he was waiting for his girlfriend. It turned out that the call was made by the girlfriend’s adult daughter. Officers told the daughter that she could not make the man leave if her mother wanted him there and that she should not make a call for police without giving the whole story. She said it would not happen again.

7:16 p.m.

An officer was dispatched to the Dodge Road area for a report of a 911 hangup. On a callback by the dispatcher a 14-year-old babysitting her 18-month-old sister said that the baby had hit her hand on a doorway and stopped breathing. When the officer arrived, the child was sitting up, eating and seemed happy. Everyone in the house seemed fine and the officer advised the 14-year-old that she had done the right thing in calling 911, but she should stay on the phone until someone arrives.

Sunday, March 2, 3:15 p.m.

A collision occurred on Main Street in front of the Sunoco when a sedan attempting to pull out of the parking lot was struck by a Honda. The sedan driver said his view of the southbound lane was blocked by a Jeep that was parked.

Wednesday, March 5, 7:04 p.m.

Police responded to the scene of an accident on Main Street in which a driver pulling out of a driveway failed to see an oncoming car that was unable to stop in part due to snow. Each vehicle sustained about $1,500 worth of damage.

Thursday, March 6, 8:43 a.m.

A Chester officer was dispatched to the recreation facility where it was reported that a truck was parked with an extension cord plugged into the pool building. The truck was recognized from a previous report. A male subject and his dog were sleeping in the truck – which they do regularly owing to an ongoing conflict with the subject’s father. The officer said it was OK for him to sleep there but not to plug in and use the power.

Wednesday, March 12, 11:07 a.m.

A driver ran off of  Flamstead Road at the sharp corner after taking it too fast during a snowstorm. About $200 in damage was done to the farmer’s fence.

Wednesday, March 12, 1:42 p.m.

A vehicle from New York and one from Connecticut came together on the slippery pavement of Route 103 north. As the New York vehicle started sliding, the driver of the Connecticut vehicle attempted to avoid a collision but ended up being hit by the first car and going off the side of the road and hitting a tree.

Thursday, March 14, 6:34 a.m.

“Motor vehicle vs deer.” Police responded to a report of a deer hit by a motor vehicle.

Saturday, March 15, 3:33 p.m.

Police were called to Lisai’s parking lot on Depot Street for the report of an accident in which the perpetrator left the scene. The owner of a car in the parking lot stated that as she left the store with groceries, a witness approached to tell her that a pickup truck that had tried to back into a parking space next to her car and had hit the rear panel of her car.  The witness had a description of the driver as well as the truck and its license plate number. The witness also said the “scruffy-looking” truck driver, who had his window rolled down, then looked at the witness, said “whoops,”  then tried to back into the spot two more times before giving up. The witness said the truck driver sped out of the parking lot and almost hit a vehicle driving on Depot Street.

Police traced the truck driver to a home off Route 11 and found the truck with minor damage. As an officer approached the residence, he reported smelling a strong odor of marijuana. Upon knocking, he heard an appropriate expletive and saw three people scrambling around. The officer questioned the owner of the truck, who admitted that he had been at Lisai’s and said that he may have “bumped a car.” Police sought to figure out how much marijuana and alcohol the suspect had consumed. His two guests said they had been there for 15 to 20 minutes, long enough for a drink and a joint with their host.

The guests added that they believed their host had been imbibing prior to their arrival. As the officer questioned the suspect on the front door step, the suspect gave the officer a slight push and told the officer he wanted him away from the door. The officer then suggested that it was best not to create further issues by placing his hands on him. The officer then noticed that, despite the cool temperatures, the suspect was sweating. He then slumped to the ground and police called the Chester Ambulance. The suspect was out for about a minute. Police questioned the man’s guests on whether the man was taking any other substances. The two said that they had know him only to use alcohol and marijuana.

When asked, the suspect said he may also have had a couple of glasses of home brew but could not say how much. After several requests that the subject submit to a field sobriety test and to medical treatment, police placed him under arrest and transported him to Rockingham barracks. While there, the man’s attorney finally suggested that he take the test. Twice it was given and both times he registered a .224. He was cited for a DUI #2  and leaving the scene of an accident  then released to his attorney.

Friday, March 21, 6:57 p.m.

Police assisted the Chester Ambulance with a call for a woman who had fallen outside and hit her head. The woman was transported to Springfield Hospital.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.