Police Log for June 19 to Aug. 25, 2014

Police log logo1Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. We do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

 Thursday, June 19, 8:29 p.m.

Police received a call that a car had passed a school bus that had its red lights flashing and its stop sign out, almost striking a child. The car was registered to a Springfield resident. Based on eyewitness accounts, it appears the problem was faulty brakes on the car.

Friday, June 27, 10:36 p.m.

Police were dispatched to an area along Chase Brook Road for a report of suspicious activity and people in the woods. Upon arrival, police located several young adults who were staying at a home. The said they were from Philadelphia and the property belonged to one of their parents, who was the brother of the person who complained. When advised, the complainant said she was unaware her nephew was up for  a visit.

Saturday, July 5, 1:35 a.m.

Police observed a vehicle on Elm Street with something hanging from the rear view mirror. It was later determined to be a tree-shaped air freshener that was still in its packaging. Police stopped the vehicle based on this violation of obstructing a windshield. The driver said that he was returning from a bar in Ludlow, that he was the designated driver but had had “a few,” the last drink being an hour and a half before. There was also an almost full bottle of whiskey in the back seat. After several sobriety exercises, the driver was placed into custody on suspicion of driving under the influence. During a search, a small amount of what was later determined to be marijuana was found on him. The passenger was allowed to leave the scene after he took a breath test.

Sunday, July 6, 1:46 p.m.

An officer sitting in Chester’s unmarked cruiser at the St. Joseph’s Church on Main Street was monitoring traffic when he observed a car traveling south on Main with a device hanging from the inside of his windshield attached with suction cups, in violation of state law. The driver was stopped, and police determined that he had five prior convictions and his license was suspended. He was taken into custody. The device was determined to be a radar detector.

Saturday, July 12, 8:03 p.m.

Police pulled over a vehicle on Flamstead Road for having an inoperable brake light on the passenger side. A check of the driver’s license revealed that it was under suspension. The driver said he knew his license was suspended but that he thought he could avoid being caught by taking back roads. There was also an expired inspection sticker on the car. The driver also confirmed that the vehicle was not insured. He could also not produce the vehicle’s registration. Citations were issued and the driver was allowed to walk home, while the vehicle was towed.

Monday, July 14, 3:27 p.m.

Police received a call reporting that a yellow motorcoach bus ran someone off the road near State Police barracks. The complainant said she was traveling north on Route 103 when the bus came up very fast from behind, then passed her. When the bus got parallel to her, the driver honked it horn three times, then pulled in front of her, nearly running her off the road. Complainant said she had to slam on her brakes. Police called the bus company to speak to the manager.

Wednesday, July 16, 10:46 p.m.

A police officer running stationary radar at the drive at Green Mountain Union High School on Route 103 South clocked a vehicle going 75 mph in a 40 mph zone. The vehicle, a 2012 black BMW with Connecticut plates, was pulled over and the driver was told his speed was an arrestable offense. He chose to be issued a citation instead of arrested.

Friday, July 18, 12:23 p.m.

A vehicle on Main Street ran into another vehicle while it was parked. The first vehicle broke the turn lens of the second vehicle and scratched its rear bumper.

Friday, July 25, 11:09 p.m.

Police parked at a restaurant on Main Street ran the registration on a 12-year-old Saab that passed by and found that the registered owner was under criminal suspension. Police attempted to catch up to the vehicle, but it pulled away. At one point, the officer was traveling between 70 and 75 mph in a 50 mph zone and had still not caught up with the vehicle. Police finally caught up with the vehicle near Route 11 West and Andover Road, then activated its emergency lights and pulled the Saab over for a speeding violation.

Police asked the driver if he had any weapons in the car. The driver responded “all I have is this” before producing two prescription bottles from the glove box, neither belonging to him. The driver stated that he cleans out properties and got the prescription medicine there, but was going to dispose of them properly. The driver was charged with driving on a suspended license and unlawful possession of an depressant drug.

Monday, July 28, 6:20 p.m.

A woman asked police to deliver a message to her husband that she could not make it home since the roads were washed out and that she would be staying at the Fullerton Inn. Police were unable to relay the message due to the roads being washed out.

Friday, Aug. 8, 1:01 p.m.

An employer on Maple Street reported that an employee had borrowed a van to move some things but hit a concrete barrier at a gas station, causing damage to the vehicle. He stated that the employee has since quit and wanted to know what he could do to get money back. Police told the man that he would have to go through his insurance unless he felt that it was a malicious act, which he did not. Police advised him to report to his insurance, then bring all the vehicle and employee information so police could write up a short report.

Saturday, Aug. 9, 10:06 a.m.

A caller complained that there was loud yelling at the farm below him and he was concerned it could be a domestic problem. When police arrived, he found a husband and wife outside while the husband attempted to put air in a flat tire of their vehicle. The husband seemed irritated but both said everything was otherwise OK.

Saturday, Aug. 9, 9:07 p.m.

Police received a report of someone sitting in the Jiffy Mart parking lot who had been drinking and harassing a woman at a nearby pub. Police approached the man, who had been drinking and had a borderline blood/alcohol level. The keys were not in the ignition. The man said he had been in an argument with his former girlfriend, who he thought was cheating on him. Police told the man to leave but that he could not drive. The man called his brother, who gave him a ride home.

Monday, Aug. 11, 10:52 a.m.

Police responded to a call of an accident between a road grader and a motorcycle on Mattson Road near Hidden Valley Campground. The road grade operator had called via town highway radio that he had just backed into a motorcycle. Upon arrival, police saw the two vehicle operators standing in the road. The motorcyclist said that he had not been “this scared since he was shot at” and that he should have run for the woods, but he froze.

The motorcyclist said he came over the crest of the road, saw the grader in front of him and stopped. He said he then saw the grader begin to back up but thought it would stop before it got to him. But when the grader started getting close, he began honking his horn, waving his arms and screaming. The grader then hit the motorcycle, knocking it on top of the driver.

Police called an ambulance although the motorcyclist said he didn’t need one even though his leg hurt. The grader driver stated that he never saw the motorcycle in his backup camera because there must have been too much shade. Police determined that there were enough ways for the grader operator to view — two rear mirrors and the camera — and that inattentiveness caused the accident.

Thursday, Aug. 14, 11:11 a.m.

Police received a report of a male riding his skateboard in the road. Police spoke the the male and told him that this is the last time he would be warned about staying out of the road and that if he was seen skateboarding in the middle of the road again, he would get a citation. He said he would not do it again.

Thursday, Aug. 14, 5:34 p.m.

Police responded to a report of a two-motor vehicle accident north of the Stone Village. Police arrived to find a driver sitting in her car while a man was standing outside his pickup truck. Both said they were not injured although the woman said she was shaken. The woman said she was exiting the farm market to cross North Street onto Church and did not see any oncoming vehicles. The man said he had been traveling north on Church when he came to the North Street intersection and made a left turn to head north. He stated that he felt he was at fault for the collision. The woman was transported to Springfield Hospital with possible minor injuries.

Tuesday, Aug. 19, 9:15 a.m.

A driver along Church Street hit a stone wall. She told police she was unsure what had happened other than that she was on the road, then off the edge and the car was pulling to the right, hit a stone wall and returned to the road. She suffered no injuries and the car was towed.

Thursday, Aug. 21, 11:51 a.m.

A two-car accident occurred at Route 103 and Mountain View Road. Police say that one driver said he was traveling north on Route 103 when he lost his water bottle under the brake pedal. He looked down to get it but upon looking up, the vehicle in front of him had stopped to make a left-hand turn and the first driver was unable to stop in time. There were no injuries.

Monday, Aug. 25, 8:01 a.m.

A one-car accident occurred on Vermont Route 10. The driver said he had gotten done with working the third shift and was driving his passenger to school when he fell asleep. The passenger was injured and was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author: Cynthia Prairie has been a newspaper editor more than 40 years. Cynthia has worked at such publications as the Raleigh Times, the Baltimore News American, the Buffalo Courier Express, the Chicago Sun-Times and the Patuxent Publishing chain of community newspapers in Maryland, and has won numerous state awards for her reporting. As an editor, she has overseen her staffs to win many awards for indepth coverage. She and her family moved to Chester, Vermont in 2004.

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.