Chester police log for Aug. 25 to Nov. 24, 2014

Police log logo1Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. We do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Monday, Aug. 25, 8:01 a.m.

Officers responded to a one car accident on Route 10 that was the result of the driver falling asleep after working a late shift.  His passenger was transported to Springfield Hospital. Several days later DCF contacted Chester Police to say that contact between the driver and the passenger was a violation of the passenger’s conditions of release from prison earlier that month.

Saturday, Sept. 20, 9:34 a.m.

The owner of a local restaurant reported to police that a waitress had said that another employee had offered her heroin and exposed himself to her. In subsequent investigation, police say that another employee had also been approached in that manner.  The subject was taken into custody for violating his probation and faces charges of Lewd & Lascivious Conduct and Dispensing Heroin.

Saturday, Oct. 4, 11:15 p.m.

Police were dispatched to a home on Cavendish Road for a domestic dispute, but on arrival found that the complainant had called because his girlfriend had been nagging him and he did not want to lose control of his temper. Both subjects had been drinking and the girlfriend admitted to nagging him but said she would stop and sleep on the sofa. Both agreed they were done for the night.

Tuesday, Oct. 7, 10:22 a.m.

Police responded to Green Mountain Union High School to assist with a student who was threatening violence and had used force to attempt to move an administrator out of his way.  The student was taken to the Vermont State Police barracks in Rockingham. After repeated attempts, the State Police contacted the student’s mother who refused to come and get him. The student’s mother said to take him home and she was asked to come to the Chester Police office to fill out papers. When she did not show up, a juvenile summons was served on the student on Dec 1.

Friday, Oct. 10, 7:25 p.m.

Police responded to a call on Depot Street for a neighbor dispute in which one party said that a portable spot light was being pointed into the windows of a house.  Police did not find the owner of the spot light, but moved it and left word to be more careful about where the light is pointing in the future.

Tuesday, Oct. 14, 4:28 p.m.

Based on a family services report, Chester Police investigated charges that the boyfriend of the mother of two juvenile males  had assaulted them and touched them inappropriately. After conducting interviews with the subject as well as the juveniles, police charged the subject with 1st Degree Aggravated Domestic Assault, Lewd & Lascivious Conduct and Voyeurism.

Saturday, Oct. 25, 6:21 p.m.

Police responded to a report of a Connecticut pickup truck towing a trailer carrying two ATVs  followed by another truck that drove through a field and then the yard of a Grafton Road house.  Responding from Elm Street, a Chester Police officer stopped the trucks. The second truck pulled around the officer and kept going. The driver said he was just following 4 or 5 other vehicles through the back yards and claimed to have stopped to talk with the owner of the property. After demonstrating to the officer that he was impaired, the driver took a breath test with the result of .129. The driver was taken into custody and processed for DUI at the Rockingham barracks.

Monday, Oct. 27, 8:30 a.m.

A tractor trailer carrying 2×4 lumber lost control and slid into the ditch on Route 11 West. The driver advised that he had loaded in Bellows Falls and was heading west when he heard a bang and the trailer began to swerve ending up in the ditch and flipping the cab in with it. He advised that he was not on the phone or distracted.

Tuesday, Oct. 28 7:18 a.m.

Police responded to the corner of Elm Street and  Route 11 where a tractor trailer making the turn onto Elm had gotten hung up on the guard rail of the bridge and was unable to move.

Saturday, Nov. 1, 4:30 a.m.

A Chester officer responded to a call to assist HCRS employees on Popple Dungeon Road with a male subject who was agitated and making threats toward the public, police and himself.  At one moment he said he knew his case workers and police were “hells angels” who were there to kill him and then asked them to shoot him. En route to Popple Dungeon, the officer received two more calls in which residents reported the subject woke them up and tried to break into their houses. The subject was charged with attempted unlawful trespass felony and 2 counts of disorderly conduct.

Saturday, Nov. 1, 3:24 p.m.

A Chester officer responded to a report of a burglar alarm in the Smokeshire area to find a Realtor who had coded the alarm incorrectly the first time, then got the right combination.

Sunday, Nov. 2,  3:22 p.m.

A second home owner called from Connecticut to report that he could see people walking around his house in Chester via a video camera. A Chester officer found a family taking photos from the view. One of the family said he was a contractor who had permission to be there. The owner confirmed this.

Monday, Nov. 3, 9 a.m.

The operator of a vehicle  that had left the pavement on the Grafton Road explained that he had been up all night and that on his way home from dropping his son off at school, he fell asleep. The operator didn’t remember anything until the airbag hit him in the face.

Tuesday, Nov. 4, 1:38 p.m.

Police were dispatched to Flamstead Road at Kirk Meadow Road for a one car-accident with no injuries. But when police arrived, it was apparent that the driver was injured, with a contusion and swelling around his left eye and bleeding from his mouth. The car was on its side with the back window smashed out. The driver said he lost control of the car and admitted to traveling 40 mph but not faster. It appears that the vehicle rolled one and a half times before coming to rest on the driver’s side, making it a total loss.  The driver refused medical treatment from the Springfield Ambulance Service.

Thursday, Nov. 6, 10:06 a.m.

A resident of a private dead end street advised police that two vehicles have driven up her road after dark and parked at the end of the road for 30 to 45 minutes each time over the previous week.  Police advised her to call dispatch as soon it happened next. Police added that they would also patrol the road.

 Thursday, Nov. 6, 4:16 p.m.

A woman claiming domestic abuse by her boyfriend was found to have an open arrest record and was sent to the Southern State Correctional facility. While investigating her claims, Chester Police found evidence that her claims were false and she was charged with false swearing and providing false report.

Tuesday, Nov. 11, 9:21 a.m.

Complainant asked police to stand with him when he spoke to squatters, who had moved into his Depot Street apartment when the tenant moved out. They were paying no rent and had no lease agreement. Police did so.

Tuesday, Nov. 11, 4:56 p.m.

A resident called to complain that around 4:42 this morning, her cellphone was called twice. One message was left from a male who was hard to understand, was talking rapidly and slurring his words. The message deciphered as follows: Sick of it; Going to get the money; $200; Going to get worse at noon. The caller also might have said something about 2 grams or 2 ounces, though that was unclear. Police called the number and back and the man who answered the phone denied that he made any calls to Chester, although his speech was consistent with that on the message. Chester Police and Springfield Police both went to the man’s home in Springfield. The resident continued to deny making the calls, then allowed police to check his cellphone history. The Chester number appeared on the cellphone at 4:41 a.m.  The man continued to deny making the calls and police concluded that the called may have been under the influence of drugs at the time and called the wrong number. The Chester resident was told to contact police should this occur again.

Monday, Nov. 17, 7:44 a.m.

The driver of a car said that he was traveling west on Route 10 when he was going around the left hand corned by Gould Road, hit some slush and went off the right side of the road, hitting a road sign.

 Monday, Nov. 17, 11:39 a.m.

A driver lost control of her car going down Maple Ridge Road and went over the bank. The roads were slush covered at the time, but the officer noted that the tires on the car were not appropriate for winter driving.

Friday, Nov. 21, 2:57 p.m.

Police responded to Main Street for a two-vehicle collision. Both cars were in the Catholic Church parking lot. One driver, from New Hampshire, said he was heading south on Route 103, stopped at the intersection with Route 11, looked both ways and struck the left side of a pickup truck. The truck driver, a Chester resident, said he was traveling east on Route 11 with his left turn signal on ready to turn onto Route 103 North when the other vehicle ran into his left side. He added that he had no time to avoid the accident. Estimated damage to each vehicle is about $4,500 and the New Hampshire driver is responsible.

Saturday, Nov. 22, 12:17 p.m.

Police responded to a report of a single vehicle accident on Flamstead Road. The vehicle was occupied by the driver and two children. All said that they were uninjured and that they were wearing seatbelts when the car went off the road. According to the driver, she was traveling west at about 35 mph when she dozed off, causing her to run off the road. The vehicle went off the right side of the road and traveled about 80 feet, striking a large tree, taking down 40 to 60 feet of split rail fencing, striking at least one more tree on the left side and breaking a pine tree before coming to rest. Damage to the fence, trees and land was about $1,000. The vehicle sustained extensive damage to the front fender, headlights, left door and possibly the undercarriage. In checking the driver’s license it was discovered to have been suspended for failing to pay a fine. The car was towed away and the driver was cited.

Monday, Nov. 24, 9:23 a.m.

A resident of Popple Dungeon Road reported that a cable running across the road on his right of way had been vandalized. The complainant said that on Friday, Nov. 21, a hunter stopped by to tell him that it appeared that the cable had been damaged, so he checked on the cable and found that it appeared that someone had pushed or pulled on the cable, breaking the white plastic pipe that it was encased in. The resident said he had not seen any tire tracks, but believed someone coming from the upper field on an ATV caused the damage.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.