Chester Police Log for May 11 to Aug. 10, 2015

Chester Police Badge copy2Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. We do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Monday, May 11, 9:46 p.m.

A clerk at the Sunoco station told a Chester officer that four young men in a Volvo had tried twice to buy alcohol without IDs and twice she had refused them, although she said they did not want to take no for an answer. A search of the area for the car in question was unsuccessful.

Friday, May 15, 8:10 p.m.

An officer responded to North and Church streets, where a large fire was being tended by a resident. The officer advised the resident of the burning ban in effect and told him to put out the fire, which he did.

Wednesday, May 20, 11:09 p.m.

Chester Police stopped a motorist for speeding on Route 10 only to find that he was driving with a suspended license and that Vermont State Police were looking for him to serve papers on him. The VSP was notified and while the Chester officer wrote a couple violations, troopers arrived to serve the papers.

Thursday, May 21, 5:08 p.m.

A complaint was made about a man taking pictures of a young woman in the Mountain View neighborhood. Police spoke with the man, who said he worked for a real estate firm in Virginia and he was taking pictures of a property for them.

Friday, May 22, 3:19 p.m.

Responding to a report of a dirt bike driving too fast up and down Snell and Trebo roads, a Chester officer took a description of the bike and driver and the address of the person the complainant said was driving. The officer went to the address and spoke with a woman who said her ex-boyfriend had a bike matching the description, but sold it and no longer lives there. The officer found no dirt bike nor dirt bike tracks in the driveway and drove around the area looking for the bike to no avail.

Saturday, May 23, 1:37 p.m.

Chester Police responded to a report of a fistfight in the Mountain View neighborhood. Two males had engaged in a fight in the street. The fight – which stemmed from some statements via social media – had been broken up by a friend of one of the combatants. Each was cited to appear in Windsor County Superior Court.

Tuesday, May 26, 1:51 p.m.

A complaint was made that a dog had been left in a car on Main Street. A responding officer said found the windows down and drinking water in the car. Ten minutes later, another officer checked on the dog and the car was gone.

Wednesday, May 27, 11:29 a.m.

A resident came to the Chester Police Department to report that she had received phone calls saying she was a winner in the Publisher’s Clearinghouse contest. Since she had entered the contest, she thought it was a legitimate call, but after receiving 35 calls — some harassing and threatening — she wanted to alert the police to the scam.

Saturday, June 6, 3:21 p.m.

A Trebo Road resident complained that one dog was running loose and two more were barking. Police called the dog owner, who returned home and reported that the dogs were quiet when he arrived. No other neighbors had complained that day.

Wednesday, June 10, 10:48 a.m.

Police responded to Chester-Andover Elementary School for students who were out of control. This has been an ongoing problem and the officer spoke with the students’ mother about an affidavit for unmanageable children. DCF was contacted.

Saturday, June 13, 10:58 a.m.

A complaint of a small motorcycle being ridden up and down the Common on the south side of the Green brought out a Chester police officer who found the bike in a nearby garage. No one answered at the residence, so the officer contacted the owner at her place of business. The officer told her he thought the driver of the bike was her son. She said she would talk to her son about it and that it would not happen again.

Sunday, June 14, 11:41 a.m.

Attempting to return a dog that was running loose, a Chester officer learned that the owner had been threatened by someone. She told police that she believed that he had led the dog away. The officer told the woman how to go about getting a Relief from Abuse order.

Sunday, June 14, 6:29 p.m.

Police responded to Popple Dungeon Road for a report of a woman missing from Health Care and Rehabilitation Services housing. The Chester Fire Department was called to assist with a search when there was a report of someone matching the woman’s description in the Williams River under the suspension bridge in Chester. Firefighters removed the woman from the river and Chester Ambulance transported her.

Thursday, June 18, 7:45 a.m.

Police found a vehicle that was reported to be “all over the road.” The driver said he had just stopped for coffee because he was falling asleep. The officer advised him to pull over and sleep for a while, but the motorist said he was heading to Brattleboro for an appointment for his sleep apnea.

Sunday, June 21, 5:44 p.m.

Police responded to Popple Dungeon Road for a report of a woman under HCRS care who was “out of control.” The woman, who was breaking windows of the house, was taken into protective custody because HCRS personnel said she was destroying the house and they did not feel safe with her being there. She was transported to Springfield Hospital for a mental health evaluation.

Wednesday, June 24, 9:30 p.m.

The neighbor of a house under foreclosure and marked with no trespass signs reported that there was a car in the back yard and a lot of “banging around” noises. Police found a man shoveling trash into a dumpster. He said he was working late because he was behind on the job. The car was being used to provide light by which to work.

Sunday, June 28, 1:02 a.m.

A resident on Trebo Road reported hearing gunshots. An officer responded and did not hear gunshots or other excessive noise and there were no other complaints that evening.

Thursday, July 2, 1:44 a.m.

Responding to a report of loud music at the Pleasant Brook Apartments, an officer contacted the resident who was responsible for the noise. She told the officer that it had only been loud for four minutes.

Thursday, July 2, 11:29 p.m.

Police responded to a report of a man walking with a goat on Route 103 South. Indeed, the man was walking a goat, which had very large horns, on a rope. They were followed by a car using its hazard flashers. The man told police that he lives nearby and that the goat (named Earl) had gotten loose and likes to run over to the American Legion. The man (and Earl) then continued to walk home.

Sunday, July 5, 10:36 a.m.

Chester police heard radio traffic dispatching a Chester Ambulance to Popple Dungeon Road for a report of an injured hand at an HCRS house. Police met with HCRS case workers, who said that the female had assaulted them and had injured her pinky finger in the altercation. An HCRS supervisor contacted by phone told police that a crisis worker would meet the woman at Springfield Hospital. Once the woman was transported, Chester police cleared the scene.

Sunday, July 5, 3:21 p.m.

A Chester resident called police to report that his neighbors are out of the country and their car suddenly disappeared from their driveway. He also said that their son had not shown up for work and was missing. He later called back to say that the son had been arrested for DUI, the car had been impounded and he had spent the weekend in a New Hampshire jail. He advised they “were all set.”

Saturday, July 11, 11:05 p.m.

A Chester officer stopped a truck with a malfunctioning light on Main Street. The driver, who was on probation and past his curfew, was picking someone up from work before returning home. The officer made a search of the vehicle with the driver’s permission and found some firecrackers and 14 prescription pills for treating a variety of anxiety disorders. The driver said the backpack found in the vehicle belonged to a friend and it was “just in the truck.”

Sunday July 12, 7:27 a.m.

A citizen flagged down a Chester police officer to report that there were cows loose in the area of Trebo and Crow Hill roads. The owner of a nearby farm said that the cows belonged to him and that he would bring them home.

Sunday July 12, 2 p.m.

A concerned citizen asked a Chester officer to follow her to a gravel pull-off on Route 11 west,where there was a horrible smell and a lot of flies. The officer found four to eight poultry carcasses. There were no feathers on the birds and they appeared to have been there for a while.

Monday, July 13, 11 p.m.

A motorist flagged down a Chester patrol car at Andover and Potash Brook roads. The motorist reported that he had hit a bear with his Harley Davidson motorcycle and had gone home to get his truck before returning to search for the bear. The officer looked at the bike and confirmed that the damage – including tufts of black hair stuck in the saddle bag – was consistent with hitting a bear.

Thursday, July 16, 10:27 a.m.

A bicyclist had collided with a car at North and Church streets and a Chester officer came to the scene. The cyclist told police that the car had made a turn in front of him without leaving him room to stop. The motorist disagreed, but scratches and spots where dust had been rubbed off the car led the officer to conclude that the cyclist’s story was correct and that the motorist failed to yield.

Friday, July 17, 4:41 p.m.

Responding to another complaint of barking dogs on Trebo Road, a Chester officer told the dogs’ owner that he needed to find a way to quiet his dogs because the next time he came for a complaint, he would be issuing him a ticket.

Saturday, July 25, 10:38 p.m.

Two Chester officers and two Vermont State Police troopers took a man into custody on Cobb Road in Andover. The man was attempting to get into a residence, talking to himself and not responding to the officers. He was found to be under the influence of hallucinogens and had wandered away from a friend’s house nearby. He was taken to Springfield Hospital in protective custody.

Monday, July 27, 2:50 a.m.

Responding to an alarm on Reservoir Road, an officer met the caretaker of the property and found that a bat had activated the alarm.

Thursday, July 30, 8:50 p.m.

A Chester officer responded to a house on Lovell Road to assist a State Police officer with a traffic complaint. The officer had been traveling on Route 11 when a car had passed him doing 98 mph in a 50 mph zone. The VSP officer had located the vehicle and the Chester officer left only to be called back by a neighboring resident who had come home to find a man sitting in a folding chair on his property. The man said he was wanted by the police and was hiding out, and left the premises. The officer went back to the Lovell Road house and found the man there. The man said he was testing out the new car and passed at the wrong place at the wrong time. “Apparently I am in some trouble,” said the man. The man was told that he needed to get in touch with the Vermont State Police.

Saturday, Aug. 1, 1:26 p.m.

An officer responded to a complaint of a dog loose on Pineview Drive and made contact with the man who was supposed to be caring for the dog while the owner was at work. The dog had jumped out the window and ran off to its owner’s workplace on High Street. The owner was contacted and told to keep the dog under control and to register it with the town.

Monday, Aug. 10, 11:38 a.m.

An officer responded to a barking dog complaint on Trebo Road. He advised the owner of the complaint. The dog owner said she had tried many ways to stop the barking but had been unsuccessful. In view of the verbal warning(s) given in the past, the officer issued municipal tickets for two dogs.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.