Chester Police Log for Jan. 5 to March 8, 2016

Chester Police Logo© 2016 Telegraph Publishing LLC

Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. In general, we do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Tuesday, Jan. 5, 4:40 p.m.

Acting on an anonymous tip that collectible coins had been stolen from a Chester resident, an officer contacted the alleged victim. The officer suspected someone living at the residence had sold the coins. The man checked his collection and found the coins were missing. He declined to make a statement or press charges saying that the person who took the coins would make it right.

Friday, Jan. 8, 5:41 p.m.

A tractor-trailer truck attempting to make a left from Elm Street onto Route 11 hit the guard rail and did damage to a trailer rim and tire that needed to be repaired at the side of the road.

Sunday, Jan. 17, 10:24 p.m.

A Chester officer responded to Route 11 on the westside of Chester for a report of a car being driven erratically and headed south on Route 100 from Weston. The officer was checking to see if the car was coming east from Londonderry when he received a report of an accident involving the car on Route 100. Knowing that the state police might take some time to reach the crash on Route 100 in Londonderry, the officer went to the scene and met the driver, who was said he was traveling to Weston from Ludlow where he had been drinking. When state troopers arrived, the Chester officer passed the information he had gathered to them and left.

Tuesday, Jan. 19, 11:37 a.m.

A complainant told police that he was looking after his brother’s house on Route 11 and noticed an unknown snowmobile parked behind it. He also found an open window, but in checking the house with the police officer, he found nothing was out of order. According to the officer, the registration on the snowmobile did not come back with a name and the complainant called Benny’s to have the machine removed.

Tuesday, Jan. 26, 3:07 p.m.

A complainant at the Pleasant Brook Apartments told police that an argument had taken place between a man and a woman there and as the man was leaving in a car, the woman threw herself on the hood. According to the complainant, the man had driven the car around the parking lot with the woman screaming for him to stop. The officer spoke with a woman who said that she and her boyfriend had argued and he wanted to leave. She said that laid on the hood to prevent him from going and that he backed out and she got off the car. She said she was never in danger. Other residents said they had not seen the incident.

Saturday, Feb. 6, 10:39 p.m.

Two Chester Police officers went to a house on Route 10 for a report of someone smashing windows. When police arrived they found a man in the driveway. He had a number of scratch marks on his face and neck but said he didn’t know what had happened. Residents said it had been a housewarming party but the man began breaking windows and punching holes in the walls. Others said the man had assaulted them. Because the man was on parole and under conditions of release, the officers took him to the Southern State Correctional Facility where he was held on $10,000 bail.

Monday, Feb. 8, 4:51 p.m.

A Marcs Drive resident reported that dogs had killed one of his chickens and that he had one dog in his garage. The officer was familiar with the dog and took him to his home. The officer explained to the person watching the dog for its owner that this had happened before and if it happens again he could be held responsible. The man said he would keep the dog on a leash.

Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2:57 p.m.

A complainant told a Chester officer that she had found a German shepherd dog. The officer had received an email that a German shepherd named “Lux” was missing and he was able to identify the dog and return it to its home.

Monday, Feb. 15, 6:30 p.m.

An officer responded to Senior Circle for a complaint of vandalism in which a woman pointed to the bumper of her car being separated from the fender. It appeared to the officer that the damage was consistent with hitting a curb or snowbank. The woman said she did not remember hitting anything recently. The officer took photos for the file.

Monday, Feb. 15, 8:53 p.m.

A resident of Kevadus Circle called 911 to report that someone was knocking at the door. Police found a man at the side door who claimed he lived there.  The officer knocked at the door identifying himself as police but got no response. The dispatcher called the house but there was no answer. Since he could not confirm the man’s story, the officer asked the man to leave the house and gave him a courtesy ride.

Tuesday, Feb. 16, 10:26 p.m.

A Chester officer responded to an alarm at a residence on Mattson Road. He found two cars there registered to that address, no footprints in the snow and that the house seemed secure. There was no answer to a phone call to the house. The following day the owner called to say that he was asleep and did not hear the alarm.

Sunday, Feb. 21, 8:56 p.m.

A car traveling east on Route 11 West crossed over into the oncoming lane and left the road, hitting a snowbank, a stone wall and a clump of trees. The operator seemed confused and may have suffered a concussion. He had difficulty recalling the crash. Noting that all four tires were nearly bald and that the vehicle inspection was to expire at the end of the month, the driver was given a citation for not maintaining his lane.

Sunday, March 6, 3:50 p.m.

Responding to a call, a Chester officer arrived at the intersection of Andover and Potash Brook roads to find horses loose and eating apples at a residence. The officer determined that the horses belonged to a nearby house and, with the help of a passerby, walked them home and secured them in a stable. The officer noticed that the electric fence meant to contain the horses was knocked down. The Springfield Humane Society visited the site and found several deficiencies to be corrected.

Tuesday, March 8, 2:38 a.m.

Chester Police responded to a phone call from a man who said he had taken an overdose in an attempt to commit suicide and wanted to be taken to the emergency room. By the time police arrived, an EMS unit was on the scene and took the man to the hospital. Later, the man left the emergency room and had to be returned by Springfield Police for further evaluation.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.