Chester Police Log for June 30 through Aug. 27, 2016

Chester Police Logo© 2016 Telegraph Publishing LLC

Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. In general, we do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Thursday, June 30

A man contacted Chester Police to report that he had purchased $5,731 worth of antique coins at an auction in July of 2015 only to find out much later that they were counterfeit. The man told police he contacted the auctioneer who was unwilling to help him. Police suggested that the man have the coins appraised and documented by a professional and then to surrender the coins to the police, who would then turn them over to the U.S. Secret Service to be removed from circulation.

Police then spoke with the auctioneer, who told them that all items were sold as is, that he sells them for the consignors and is not responsible for reimbursing. Police then spoke with the previous owner who said that he bought the coins on E-bay years ago without his wife knowing, then after she died, he decided to put them up for auction. He then added that he had worked for banks for years and with the Secret Service as well dealing with counterfeit currency and would make good on the buyer’s loss.

The auction buyer later contacted police with the information from a gold and silver company in Massachusetts that confirmed the coins were counterfeit. Police spoke with the company owner who added that the metal used in all 56 coins was not even silver.

Police then arranged for the auction buyer to be reimbursed by the original seller for the cost of the coins, minus the auctioneer’s cut. On June 30, the auction buyer arrived at the police station to pick up a check for $4,515. The coins remained in police custody awaiting pickup by the Secret Service.

Saturday, July 9, 7:41 p.m.

Police were called to Vt. Route 10 when a resident reported that neighbors were shooting off fireworks toward his home. Police checked the area, including Mineral Springs and Mattson roads but found nothing except  four-wheeler tracks.

Saturday, July 9, 9:21 p.m.

Police on routine patrol along Kirk Meadow Road spotted a burning pile. While checking on the pile closely, police found that not only was it unpermitted, but it also contained a lot of hazardous materials. Police approached a man on the premises who said he lived in North Springfield and admitted that the had started the fire for a friend.  He was cited for illegal burning.

Friday, July 15, 10:51 p.m.

Police responded to a report of a woman screaming on Depot Street. Police arrived to the home to find a woman attempting CPR on an unresponsive male. She was performing CPR while the man was on a mattress, which is ineffective. Chester Police, assisted by a Springfield officer, moved the man to a hard surface and found a strong pulse in his neck. The officers decided CPR wasn’t the best option. The woman said the man had snorted a bag of heroin and that he typically snorts one or two bags a week.  Police administered Narcan, and the man became responsive. He was transported to Springfield Hospital although he claimed he was just asleep. The empty heroin bag was taken as evidence.

Monday, July 18, 8:39 a.m.

A resident off Flamstead Road told police that his safe had been once again broken into. He stated that it was locked and a chain was wrapped around it but that there was enough room to fit a couple of fingers in and now three antique $100 bills were missing. He stated that several people were in the house that day but is adamant that the thief isn’t one of  them. Fingerprinting turned up nothing legible. Police then told the owner to stop having certain types of people in his home.

Wednesday, July 27, 1:22 p.m.

A resident off Route 103 North complained of a strange telephone call asking for her address to deliver medication. She said the caller was male and his speech was a bit slurred. When asked, the caller said he was from Rite-Aid. The resident replied that Rite-Aid did not deliver, then hung up. The man called back and, according to the resident, was argumentative and insistent. The resident once again hung up and called Rite-Aid, but said that when she did not receive a satisfactory reply, she contacted Chester Police.  Since the resident did not have caller ID, she said she was able to get the number from VTel. Police called the number and was greeted by a male, with slurred speech who identified himself as a Rite-Aid driver. Police then called Rite-Aid, which said that yes, they do indeed have medication delivery drivers but this particular attempt at delivery must have been in error.

Wednesday, Aug. 3, 9:16 a.m.

A driver at the Jiffy Mart told police that she was sitting in her car when a man got into his Jeep to leave, backed up and hit her car. The Jeep driver, who police found at his home, said he did not realize he had hit the other car.

Friday, Aug. 12, 6:01 p.m.

A resident along Trebo Road reported that a car alarm had been going off for about 90 minutes. Police found two people looking at the noisy vehicle. They stated that they were visiting some friends at their vacation home and their rental car alarm would not stop sounding.  Police assisted by unplugging the horn and removing the fuse that made it operate the alarm. All of the other devises in the vehicle remained operational. The couple stated that they would deal with the rental company when they returned home.

Sunday, Aug. 21, 10 a.m.

Police received a report of vandalism to a soda machine at a business on Depot Street.  About half the plastic front had melted off the machine but the plug had been pulled, the fire was out and “everything was cool.” Upon investigation, it appeared that the machine shorted out on its own and also burned out on its own.

Saturday, Aug. 27, 4:11 p.m.

Police were told of a young woman who was driving a Subaru Outback and texting and speeding. Police talked with her father, who said he will have a long talk with her.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author: Cynthia Prairie has been a newspaper editor more than 40 years. Cynthia has worked at such publications as the Raleigh Times, the Baltimore News American, the Buffalo Courier Express, the Chicago Sun-Times and the Patuxent Publishing chain of community newspapers in Maryland, and has won numerous state awards for her reporting. As an editor, she has overseen her staffs to win many awards for indepth coverage. She and her family moved to Chester, Vermont in 2004.

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.