Chester Police Log, July 1 through Oct. 5, 2016

Chester Police Logo© 2016 Telegraph Publishing LLC

Editor’s Note: The Chester Telegraph Police Log is a sampling of incidents directly from Chester Police reports. In general, we do not identify individual victims of crimes nor those who have been arrested.

Friday, July 1, 7:04 a.m.

An Andover resident reported that her home had been broken into, cabinets had been smashed and numerous firearms and ammunition had been stolen. Also stolen was a MacBook Pro, eight Insanity workout DVDS, a Vera Bradley bag and tools. A second burglary had occurred down the street, but that house was empty and small power tools were stolen.

Friday, July 22, 9:51 p.m.

Police were called to a home on Lovers Lane Road for an underage drinking party.  As police drove up to the house, a car was leaving, but it was determined that no one in the car had been drinking alcohol.  Police were then met in the driveway by a 20-year-old man who became aggressive and who smelled of intoxicants. He stated that he had drunk Twisted Tea, which contains alcohol. Due to his intoxication and aggressive state, he was handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser. Police then looked around and spotted a Beer Pong drinking game. Police knocked on the door, but no one answered although someone crashed out of the cellar bulk head and ran off into the woods. He could not be found. The young man’s cuffs were removed and he took police into the home, where more alcohol was found. In the basement, police found several people under 21. A young woman and the young man were issued civil diversion paperwork.

Monday, Aug. 8, 8:12 p.m.

A man called to report that scrap metal was being stolen from a job site on Route 103 South. He gave police a description of a truck with the stolen metal that had turned south on 103. Police spotted the vehicle with a trailer attached a short time before the call came in and knew one person in the truck from previous encounters. Officers drove to a house where the man, 34, was unloading scrap metal from the trailer. Police questioned the man about leaving the job site with the metal. The man denied being at the site, even when he was told there was a witness. He then changed his story and said he had permission. When asked who gave him permission,  he could not answer. Police then noticed a back hoe with various pieces of new and old water pipe that had come from the construction site. Another man said that he had stopped at the job site earlier and tried to buy the scrap and actually saw the new pieces of pipe at the job site. That man was then told to hold onto the scrap as police continued to talk with the people at the job site. The first man was charged with larceny.

Thursday, Aug. 18, 9:48 a.m.

A couple in the Potash area told police that their new neighbor was acting suspiciously and doing odd things. The woman said they befriended the neighbor and allowed him to borrow their tractor and he was going to york rake a driveway as well. The pair also said that it appeared he was stealing gravel from a nearby job site.

Tuesday, Aug. 30, 4:58 p.m.

A resident on Chase Brook Road told police that a neighbor’s property has been vandalized. Upon arrival, police found that a locked wooden gate was busted open and a shed had been broken into, although it could not be determined if anything was missing. Attempts to find the owners did not pan out.

Tuesday, Aug. 30, 6:17 p.m.

The Humane Society requested that the police check on the welfare of new puppies at a home on Amsden Hill Road after they heard reports that the dogs were not being fed and were close to death. Police met with the tenant, who was living there without electricity, and she took the officer to the puppies out back. They animals were sheltered, chubby, active and had food and water. The Humane Society was informed.

Tuesday, Aug. 30, 7:13 p.m.

An off duty officer told police that a blue car with a loud exhaust was racing up and down Green Mountain Turnpike at about 80 mph.  The off-duty officer did get the plate number, allowing officers to track down the owner and his address. The man and his wife were outside the home when police arrived and he became verbally aggressive with his wife, telling her not to speak to the officer.  A friend who was with the couple and  appeared to be high began videotaping the officer and questioning him. Police asked for his ID, which he turned over after first refusing. The wife told police the car in question should be parked in their shop in Rockingham. When asked if they wanted to report it stolen, they refused.

Wednesday, Aug. 31, 10:03 p.m.

Police were asked to help a physician gather information for a physician-assisted suicide that was to occur that weekend. After collecting all the information from the Windsor County State’s Attorney’s office, it was determined that the address was wrong and the Chester officer put the doctor in touch with the proper police agency.

Thursday, Sept. 1, 9:46 a.m.

A resident along Orcutt Drive called the police requesting “assistance with an odd smell and (was) looking for a professional opinion.”

Thursday, Sept. 1, 12:56 p.m.

Police responded to the scene of a car-bicycle accident on Green Mountain Turnpike. A male who appeared to be very confused was on the ground and was being treated by Chester Ambulance. He did not know what happened.

The driver of the car said that the was traveling south at around 20 mph and went into the other lane to avoid the bicyclist who was traveling south as well. The driver said that as he approached, the bicyclist lost control of the bicycle and that the driver slammed on his brakes, turning even farther away from the cyclist. He then heard the bicycle crash into the passenger side of his car. The passenger in car added that the bicycle’s front tire started wobbling as they passed.

From evidence on the ground it appeared that this was a freak accident with no one at fault. The bicyclist did sustain serious injury including a concussion, a separated shoulder, fractured base of the neck/skull, broken scapula and numerous bruises. He was taken to Springfield Hospital, then transferred to Dartmouth-Hitchcock.

Sunday, Sept. 4, 2:34 p.m.

Police went to a home on Main Street for the report of a man who had fallen 30 feet off a roof. The man suffered a compound fracture of the left tibia and fibula and was transported by ambulance to Springfield Hospital.

Sunday, Sept. 4, 6:06 p.m.

Customers of Baba-a-Louis Bakery on Route 11 West called to report that the Open flag is flying, the doors are open but that no one is at the bakery. Upon arriving, police located a man who was sitting outside against some rear sliding barn doors. He said he really wasn’t an employee but is more like a night watchman.  Officers went inside but found no one. Police then called the owners who said the man should be handling the situation and asked to speak with him on the phone. The owner then told the police they could leave.

Monday, Sept. 5, 8:45 a.m.

Police got a report of a burglary in progress along Depot Street. The complainant said a hooded male was attempting to enter a neighbor’s house using a ladder.  In speaking with the suspect, it was discovered that he was a painter and was there to work.

Tuesday, Sept. 6, 6:35 p.m.

A turkey was reported to be deceased in the right lane of Route 11 East at Hall Road.

Sunday, Sept. 11, 5:05 p.m.

Police were told that two people were looking into the windows of the stone quarry office on Route 103 north of Route 10. Police found some fresh shoe prints around the building however no one could be found on the property, everything was secure and there was no indication that anyone attempted to get in.

Monday, Sept. 12, 1:15 p.m.

A man reported that he believed that his car was stolen, or maybe just borrowed. He said he couldn’t be sure because he leaves the keys in it and people will use it, so that whoever borrowed it may have just not returned it.  The car is a green Blazer with a white bumper.  The owner said he would check with his friends to see if they took it.

The next day, police were called by the Weathersfield Police who said they found the vehicle and it had been involved in a bad accident,  that it looks like it had been abandoned overnight.

At the scene, the vehicle was down an embankment and appeared to be totaled. The owner’s driver’s license was outside the door and the driver’s compartment was caved in. The officer speculated that the driver survived the accident because he was not wearing a seatbelt and he was ejected from the car.

When the owner of the Blazer was told of the accident, he did not seem that upset, and said that he still did not want to report the vehicle as stolen.

Tuesday, Sept. 13, 12:15 p.m.

A woman told police that someone claiming to work for a credit card company told her that she owed $2,000 on a credit card from 2011. She told the caller that she paid off all her cards in 2008 and no longer uses them. But the caller insisted and said if she paid it right then, they would lower the amount due to a little more than $1,000.  She then gave the caller her checking account numbers. The woman said no money has been removed from her account yet but I advised her to go to the bank, close out all her accounts and reopen them under different numbers. She was reluctant since she has many payments that are on automatic withdrawal. But police told her that they had no way to stop the withdrawal, that it was all in her hands. She said she would go to the bank and make the changes.

Monday, Sept. 24, 12:05 a.m.

Police responded to an accident at Flamstead Road and Green Mountain Turnpike, in which the car, a 1998 Green Dodge Dakota, was rolled over on its side and the driver was attempting to exit the vehicle. Once he got out, police smelled a strong odor of intoxicants. He was also unsteady on his feet. He was cited for driving under the influence and resisting arrest.

Sunday, Oct. 2, 10:21 a.m.

A resident of Lovers Lane Road told police that someone smashed his mailbox at 3 a.m.  The damage appeared to be minor however it was a very large mailbox.

Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2:48 p.m.

A woman called to say that she has received five telephones calls from an overseas number and the caller attempts to engage her in conversation and tell her she has won a prize. She said she has not given any personal information to the caller. Police suggested that she quit talking with such people.

Wednesday, Oct. 5, 3:37 p.m.

Police responded to a call that a dog was lying in a field on Grafton Road and had probably been hit by a car. While en route, police learned who dog belonged to and it was thought that shooting by the neighbors scared it.  The dog was taken home.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Filed Under: Latest NewsPolice Log

About the Author: Cynthia Prairie has been a newspaper editor more than 40 years. Cynthia has worked at such publications as the Raleigh Times, the Baltimore News American, the Buffalo Courier Express, the Chicago Sun-Times and the Patuxent Publishing chain of community newspapers in Maryland, and has won numerous state awards for her reporting. As an editor, she has overseen her staffs to win many awards for indepth coverage. She and her family moved to Chester, Vermont in 2004.

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.